Thursday, August 21, 2014

Floating and Fishing the Big Piney

First time for me on the Big Piney.  We put in at Six Crossing and planned to float and fish down to the Ross access. We did stop fishing and started to paddle harder when it looked and sounded like a thunder storm was about to hit.  We reached our destination with just a few drops hitting us and I don't believe the storm ever really developed. Even with the earlier than expected takeout, I had a long but fun day.  Left home at 5:45 am and returned about 10:45 pm. I've been tired today, but would definitely go again. What can be much more fun than good friends, floating a beautiful river and even catching a few fish?

Three of us, Sharon, Lou and I, that floated the James Saturday did this one Wednesday.  Unfortunately our fourth from the other day had to work. Just after the put in we came up to the first of the many pretty bluffs along the river.

Notice the cave near the top of this bluff. Look at the close-up below.  We think that straight below is an eagle's nest, near the bottom of the photo, and another one to the right of the cave, vertically between the cave and the first nest.

Each of the ladies spotted at least one snake, one had a frog in its mouth.  I was downstream from them and missed this sight. Saw a few heron, both Great Blue and Green. Also saw a very large soft shell turtle, the largest I've ever seen. Two things that really added to this trip was we didn't see or hear many other other people.  There was one couple in a canoe that passed us.  The other was something we did not expect to see.  Take a look at Lou's photo:

Yes, that's a stealth bomber! It was very loud as it passed overhead.  Actually, it either made two passes or there where two different ones. In spite of the noise from this, the trip was very nice, peaceful and enjoyable.

What about the fish? We all caught some. I got several longear sunfish, a couple of creek chub (Lou called one a hornyhead chub), and a small smallie. I believe Sharon's caught three goggle-eye, a few green sunfish (her favorite), a chub or two, and some longears, not sure what Lou caught, but I know she had a nice smallie and was talking to fish the entire float.

Just going to add a few pictures now from the float. Some with comments.

Tying on a new fly and taking a short break.

Lunch time.  We also stop for a morning and afternoon snack break.  Afterwards we went to a Chinese Buffet that also featured a Mongolian Grill.

Lots of trees and rocks makes for good fishing!

 I'm heading down stream while Lou is fishing.  Sharon's somewhere up stream from me. Now a few of Lou's pictures.  She got most of the fish pictures.
 One of the green sunfish Lou caught.  Notice all the pink reflecting on the fish and Lou's glasses.

Sharon and me coming floating down stream.

Nice smallie, another selfie by Lou.

My smallmouth, not as big as those I caught in Wisconsin or Canada, but it still put a nice bend in the flyrod. Good friends, good fishing, good water to float, almost no other river traffic all made this a very good day.  Thanks to Lou and Sharon for showing me this river to fish and float.

No comments:

Post a Comment