Saturday, November 15, 2014

Getting Ready for Belize

Johnson's Blue Bonefish Villa

Looks inviting. The end of February several of us are going to Bill from Plateau Fly Shop and his wife Sarah on a trip to the Blue Bonefish Villa on San Pedro, Belize.  The plans are four days of flats fishing from boats, one day of reef fishing or snorkeling and one free day.  Looks like several good ideas for the free day, but I may need to just relax.

The owner, Jim Johnson, sent a list of flies (and other gear) to bring, plus I have a few friends that have given recommendations on flies, leaders, etc.  Steve, who I'll be traveling with, just gave a fantastic program on how to tie leaders and improve our knot tying.  Soon I'll get started on that.  Also, I've been trying to improve my casting with my 8 wt saltwater rod.  Its turned cold, but I still need to get out and practice more.

Here are a few of the flies that have been suggested.
Bonefish Bitters


This fly was on the list from the Villa, also some friends recommended it. I used a Tiemco U401 #8 hook on the ones shown. The head is small bead chain eyes, coated with Clear Cure Goo and then colored with magic marker. I've used two different kinds of legs: Speckled Centipede, Med Orande and Sili Legs, Sand/orange-Blk Flake. The wing is a tan Hi-vis under deer hair.  Hopefully, the deer hair will serve as a weed guard.

Squimp

This fly was highly recommended by Steve and I've learned to listen to his advice. I used a #4 saltwater hook and the eyes are beadchain.  I've varied the size and color of the eyes. The tail is fox fur, as is the wing.  The legs are the same Sili Legs as above.  The body and head are a sparkle material.  I did some of the heads in pink, all of the bodies are white or pearl.  


Lefty's Bonefish Fly

This one was not recommended, but for the salt you have to have one of Lefty's patterns. Side note: I was lucky enough to meet and talk to Lefty a couple of years ago...what a character!  Also, this is a very simple tie.  I used both #8 and #6 saltwater hooks. Everything was tied in over the beadchain eyes. The fur is badger and some pearl or gold krystal flash. One small bunch of fur on top (what will be the bottom) of the hook. After turning the hook over, I tied in fur, flash and the more fur. The person who did the video used white thread, but then did the head in pink for Lefty. I did a few that way and a few all pink thread.

The Avalon

Jim recommend this fly for permit.  It is weighed much heavier than the others and is tied larger.  The hook is a # 2 or 4 saltwater and the eyes are bead chain.  The keel is 20 lb hard mono with 4 1/8" beads, this adds weight and is suppose to rattle when stripped. Mouth is orange antron yarn. Black krystal flash makes up the antennae. The legs are the same Centipede legs as above.  I just realized that you can't see the body (tan Chenille) and the shell back ( pearl flat braid) in this picture. The claws are rabbit strips, one tied to each side.


Because of the keel, this fly won't sit properly for a picture, so I put the keel in the vise to show the shell back and also how the claws are attached. Sorry the picture isn't the best.

That's what I've tied so far, going to do some Gotchas, Crazy Charlies and Christmas Island specials.  I'll add them when I get some tied.

As I mentioned before it just turned cold here, and I'm really looking forward to the warmth of Belize.  

No comments:

Post a Comment